The Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor, through the licensing of suppliers and the provision of industry support services, promotes and maintains the integrity of lawful liquor activities for Western Australians to participate in, within community expectations on harm minimisation.
The Department achieves its mission through the provision of services to maintain public confidence in liquor industries. This confidence has been achieved by maintaining confidentiality and applying the principles of fairness and natural justice.
In relation to liquor licensing, the Department's performs numerous functions, including:
- hearing and determining applications in accordance with the Act;
- monitoring the standards of licensed premises;
- ensuring compliance with the requirements of the Act;
- facilitating various liquor accords and community alcohol agreements;
- developing and implementing policy consistent with Government objectives;
- providing policy advice;
- negotiating and liaising with industry groups;
- considering complaints about noise or behaviour related to licensed premises and responding to such complaints; and
- dealing expeditiously with any other matters arising from the administration of the Act.