The Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor is responsible for promoting and maintaining the integrity of lawful racing, gambling and liquor activities for Western Australians to participate in.
The Department achieves this within community expectations on harm minimisation through the licensing of suppliers and industry support services.
The broad objective of the Department is to ensure that legislation listed under the ministerial portfolio of Racing and Gaming is administered in an efficient and effective manner consistent with government policy.
More specifically the Department:
- Provides licensing services for casino and permitted gaming, liquor licensing and betting industries;
- Provides inspectorial and audit services for casino and permitted gaming, liquor licensing and betting industries;
- Provides executive support to the Gaming and Wagering Commission of Western Australia, the Problem Gambling Support Services Committee, Western Australia's Liquor Commission, the Gaming Community Trust and the Racing Penalty Appeals Tribunal;
- Provides expertise and experience in structuring legislation and policy relevant to the racing, gaming and liquor industries;
- Provides information to stakeholders and engages in education programmes designed to raise awareness of legislation.